ABOUT THE ROLE
Our current post holder steps down after four successful years and we’re looking to recruit an inspirational choral trainer and leader to direct the West Sussex Youth Choir and West Sussex Young Voices.
The choirs rehearse on Saturdays during term time and perform in public at least once a term with satellite activities planned during the week at Chichester and Worthing. There is a residential course or concert tour planned every other year.
The Director of West Sussex Youth Choir will organise the choirs’ repertoire and training activities and, with the Music Centres Manager, plan the rehearsal and concert schedule for the year. Working with the Singing Engagement Manager they will ensure that progression pathways are effective between school-based singing activities and West Sussex Youth Choirs and ensure that high musical standards are maintained whilst growing the choirs’ membership from as diverse a catchment as possible.
We are looking for someone who is committed to the best possible outcomes for children and young people and will model this in their work leading the choirs. The successful applicant will be a gifted choral director and singer who has proven experience of working with young people in an educational setting.
This position is being offered on an hourly-paid basis. There is an opportunity for the postholder to give singing tuition on an hourly-paid basis.
The post will be based in Horsham. The post involves travel within West Sussex and requires weekend and evening commitments, so flexibility is required.
Pay: £40 per hour
West Sussex Music values diversity and particularly welcomes applications from under-represented groups of the community. To address barriers, we will consider reasonable adjustment and access requirements before, during and throughout the application and interview process.
Director of West Sussex Youth Choirs Job Description
|Job title:||Director of West Sussex Youth Choir|
|Reports to:||Music Centres Manager|
|Responsible for:||Directing the West Sussex Youth Choir and West Sussex Young Voices and expanding their membership and reach.|
The post holder will direct the West Sussex Youth Choir and West Sussex Young Voices. They will work closely with the Music Centres Manager and Singing Engagement Manager to plan and deliver the rehearsal and concert schedule for the year, promote progression pathways between school-based singing activities and West Sussex Youth Choirs and ensure that high musical standards are maintained whilst growing the choirs’ membership from as diverse a catchment as possible.
|Key Tasks and Activities
Responsibilities specific to this role:
· Singing strategy – Contribute to fulfilling the delivery objectives of the Hub’s singing strategy.
· Choral direction – Lead weekly rehearsals (c.30 per year) with West Sussex Youth Choir and West Sussex Young Voices.
· Pedagogy – Be responsible for planning the West Sussex Youth Choirs’ repertoire and training approach.
· Audition – Potential new members.
· Concerts – Direct the West Sussex Youth Choirs in public concerts in and beyond West Sussex.
· Publicity – Assist with the promotion of West Sussex Youth Choirs.
· Residential courses and tours – Participate in residential courses and overseas tours by the West Sussex Youth Choirs.
· Meetings – Attend Music Centre and choral meetings as required.
Other duties – The post holder will undertake teaching, training and additional duties as defined by, and agreed with, SLT to meet the needs of the business.
The post-holder will have experience as a successful educator with a proven track record of management and raising music education standards.
|Commitment||Fully committed to the:
· Vision, mission, and values of WSM, promoting its aims and activities positively.
· Highest of standards and best practice across all aspects of the WSM’s work.
· Safeguarding and welfare of children & young people and the adults who work with them.
· WSM Equality, Diversity & Inclusion strategy, including Youth Voice.
|Qualifications and Development||· Appropriate educational, musical, and professional qualifications.
· Proven evidence of career success.
· Evidence of recent and relevant continuing professional development
|· Degree level qualification or higher.
· PGCE or equivalent teaching qualification.
|Leadership and Experience||· Proven success in directing youth choirs of a similar standard.
· Experience of managing student behaviour and making decisions about individuals’ skills and competencies.
· Evidence of identifying priorities and creating robust improvement plans.
· Experience of leading public performances by choirs.
|· Leadership of initiatives that have led to innovation and growth.
· Experience of residential courses and overseas tours.
|Knowledge||· Up to date knowledge of music education pedagogy, resources, and providers.
· Understanding of the national context impacting on Music Education and youth choirs.
· Strong understanding of effective music education pathways for young musicians.
|· High level ICT skills.
|Personal Qualities and Skills||· A singer and high-level vocal coach.
· High level communication and interpersonal skills.
· Inspirational role model and motivator of staff: flexible, enthusiastic, optimistic, reliable, committed, and reflective.
· Able to prioritise and manage own time highly effectively.
· A creative thinker who anticipates and solves problems.
· Enjoys working with, and has empathy for, young people from all backgrounds.
· Works collaboratively with others.
· Be well organised and good at meeting deadlines.
|· Capable pianist who can lead rehearsals from the piano as required.
· Diverse and broad musical skills and experience.
· Personal commitment to on-going professional development.
|Location||The role will be based in Horsham but with a growing county-wide remit.
Travel, in addition to commuting, will be necessary to visit and manage staff, meet with stakeholders, and attend events. Travel costs will be paid in accordance with the WSM travel policy.
|Hours of Work||Variable
Your normal working week is Saturdays during term time and may include some Tuesday evenings and Friday evenings. Additionally, a high degree of flexibility is required to support events, concerts, and tours.
|Benefits||Enhanced salary sacrifice pension|
|Salary||£40 per hour|
|Application deadline||15 July 2022
To apply: Send your CV and covering letter as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you submit a CV and covering letter, you will be sent an application form to complete if your submission is progressed. Completed application forms must be received by 15th July 2022.
West Sussex Music is committed to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people. All posts are subject to enhanced DBS and barred list clearance, a Prohibition check, identity check, confirmation of the right to work in the UK, health assessment and satisfactory references. References will always be taken up in advance of an interview, and we may contact other previous employers for references.