Would you like to work for a visionary, dynamic Music Hub and be part of an experienced and creative team of committed professionals? West Sussex Music is seeking to appoint visiting music teachers to join our expanding tuition team across West Sussex. Successful candidates will be confident, inspirational teachers and enthusiastic about making music with children and young people both face-to-face and online.
The role involves teaching and recruiting pupils in various locations and schools in West Sussex during school hours, after-school hours or weekends*.
It is essential that all applicants are able to teach face-to-face across the whole of West Sussex. Some online teaching may be available, but face-to-face is our primary delivery method.
- To provide instrumental/vocal tuition for small groups, large groups and individual pupils online and face to face
- To plan for musical experiences which demonstrate progression and high expectation
- To differentiate the learning so as to fully involve children of all abilities
- To use the voice/instrument to demonstrate effectively and with confidence
- To develop an exciting and stimulating ethos for effective teaching and learning to take place
- To participate in arrangements for training and professional development, including mandatory training, as required
- To maintain good order and discipline among pupils with particular regard to their health and safety
- To follow the policies and protocols of West Sussex Music
- To fulfill day to day administration duties of teaching (registers, reports etc.) and liaising with parents, schools and the office (email and telephone)
- To carry out any other duties as may reasonably be required
*Flexible hours. This role requires travel between schools and other music venues. Carriage of instruments/materials may be necessary, as well as arranging teaching spaces/moving furniture etc.
- Up to date knowledge and understanding of developments in music education and national initiatives
- High degree of knowledge of your specialist instrument(s) / voice
- Graduate professional qualification relevant to the specialism of Music or Music Education; or equivalent level of significant experience demonstrating applied application of the above levels of knowledge in a relevant setting.
- Qualified teacher status would be desirable, but not essential
- Substantial recent and relevant teaching experience, including successful small and large group teaching is essential
- Experience of whole class instrumental or vocal tuition would be desirable
- Experience of teaching curriculum music would be desirable
- Expertise and successful experience in organising, managing and conducting a music ensemble would be desirable
- Experience of teaching online via video conferencing platforms e.g. Zoom is desirable
- High quality, committed and effective teacher of children
- Able to enthuse, engage and motivate pupils
- Can effectively recruit pupils, giving more children the opportunity to learn an instrument/sing
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Able to communicate effectively in person and in writing and liaise with the office team, teachers, headteachers, parents/carers and stakeholders
- Thorough understanding of children, their needs and development
- Well organised and professional in presentation
- IT and Office 365 literate, competent and confident in the use of video conferencing and email
Equality: Supports equality and diversity and respects customers, clients and other members of staff regardless of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic origin
Customer service: Works with a focus on delivering services to the customer, acting with integrity and respect on behalf of the organisation and honouring confidentiality. Able to deal with the pressures and sometimes challenging demands of working with children and dealing with parents and schools alike.
Team work: Works as part of a team in order to deliver a service to others working to West Sussex Music policies and protocols.
Once you submit an application through Indeed, you will still be required to complete our application form.
West Sussex Music is committed to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people. All posts are subject to enhanced DBS and barred list clearance, a Prohibition check, identity check, confirmation of the right to work in the UK, health assessment and satisfactory references. References will always be taken up in advance of interview, and we may contact other previous employers for references.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Salary: £30.10 per hour
- Company pension
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability